Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By dunny
Just thought I would plug the great little airfield that we flew into over the weekend.

Newcastle , County Wicklow (EINC) is a very welcoming little grass strip on the East coast of Southern Ireland just south of Dublin. Very easy to find, right on the coast and very conveniently located for getting into Dublin. A couple of miles from the lovely little town/village of Greystones which has a resonable selection of restauarants and pubs. We stayed in a B & B at 55 Euro per night including breakfast.

There were no landing fees or parking fees charged and the trip was very straightforward (we landed at Kerry first). The owner is a very pleasant and welcoming chap and he would like to actively encourage visistors from the UK.

So if you are looking for a little weekend break, a nice bit of flying, and a very welcoming no nonsense destination I would recommend you give it a try.

I for one will very definitely be going back there!!

D
By dunny
Straight'n'Level wrote:Don't forget to add it to the ATIS forum, as well :wink:

Done.

D
By irishc180
Shameless plug, but if you're visiting Ireland there is no point re-inventing the wheel. All the airfields and places you could imagine are in my new book, Aviators Guide to Ireland. The book comes with a GPS file that you can upload to your handheld.

Newcastle:

The book can be purchased online at http://www.FlightGuide.me and will soon be available in Pilot shops across the UK. No other book gives two A5 pages in multi-photo detail with such accuracy as this book. Huge effort has gone into putting something together that really tells the whole story.

Cheers
By Hum
Newcastle is a great spot..

The book is a treasure too - some nice aircraft photos in there too... definitely taken with a zoom lens :lol:
By Lefty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Is there any car hire nearby?
How would you get from the airfield in to Dublin (say)
What about customs & Irish Special Branch?

TIA
Tom
By dublinpilot
PFMS Team
Last summer they had a "crew car" available for visitors....a relatively new Merc Jeep. I've no idea how long they'd let you take it away for.

Customs you'll need to check directly with Newcastle to see what their arrangements are. John Nugent's number is handily shown in C180's (excellent) guide book extract above!

I've no idea if car hire is available locally, but there is probably nobody in Ireland who would work harder to get something sorted for you then John.
By ZuluMike
Lefty wrote:Is there any car hire nearby?
How would you get from the airfield in to Dublin (say)
What about customs & Irish Special Branch?

TIA
Tom

1 Dont know
2 Taxi to Greystones Station about 5 miles away then take the 'Dart' to centre Dublin (about 30mins & 12 Euro return)
3 File an Irish GAR (24 hours notice because not 'designated' customs field)

Easy
By ZuluMike
irishc180 wrote:Shameless plug, but if you're visiting Ireland there is no point re-inventing the wheel. All the airfields and places you could imagine are in my new book, Aviators Guide to Ireland. The book comes with a GPS file that you can upload to your handheld.

Newcastle:

The book can be purchased online at http://www.FlightGuide.me and will soon be available in Pilot shops across the UK. No other book gives two A5 pages in multi-photo detail with such accuracy as this book. Huge effort has gone into putting something together that really tells the whole story.

Cheers

Just been on site to purchase but no price for p&p to UK - could you let me (us) know how much
Thanks
ZM
By irishc180
We have now added a Sterling £££ payment button and REDUCED THE PRICE of the book. The book is now;

£24.95 of your British Pounds
€29.95 of your Skitish Euros

Have a look here http://www.flightguide.me/page7.php?SessionID=5bd7adbe4e3bc3ba4a757 and we will ship all orders within 24hrs. P&P is a fiver in either case. The book covers all the different locations over the 32 counties, and gives picture detail to what was previously folklore until recently. We are putting together a DVD of landing/departing the various strips, so any special requests just ask. Short fields a speciality;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNOxsMri8Qc

:thumright: