Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Arnold Rimmer
eltonioni wrote:I'm not mixing it up Joe, I'm just interested to know what AOPA did in this particular situation. I was a member at the time and I don't recall anything, but that's not to say that nothing happened.

For something positive to come out of this affair, Sheffield's closure should / could be a case study for AOPA.

A big DITTO for Panshanger. What did AOPA do in this case??

Saying AOPA signed the petition is not an answer to be proud of. Saying you had a meeting with Grant Shapps to discuss Panshanger would be a start.
By flybymike
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
If the land owner doesn't want aeroplanes on his land then I don't see what AOPA or anyone else can do about it.
On a broader scale AOPA should certainly be doing all they can to safeguard against the redevelopment of valuable GA airfields, including lobbying for legislative changes to prevent further wholesale airfield losses which are reaching an alarming scale.
By Keef
Airfield = brownfield land (all of it, including the large part that is green grass). Building on it is cheap, because there is comparatively little to remove first.

Derelict site = brownfield land, but with significant preparation costs.

Agricultural land = greenfield site. Major faff to get consent to build on it.

A simple change in definitions is required. Any presently "brownfield" land that is over (pick a percentage such as 66%) green is hereafter for planning purposes deemed "greenfield".
That would protect airfields, schools with playing fields (they tried to close daughter 1's children's school to build all over it because it had oodles of playing fields, happily defeated after massive lobbying and effort), and much more "greenness".
By Arnold Rimmer
In the scheme of things, Panshanger looked to one of the easy ones to save, at least in the short term. The only reason it has shut is (as I understand) failure to renew the lease, not planning permission.
We all knew Filton was going to be re-developed when it closed. This is not at all certain at Panshanger.

So, in my simple view, surely an approach from AOPA to the owner to either allow Panshanger's present occupant to continue in some way or keep the field open with another operator might have stood a chance of success, at least a better chance than others.

So, come on, what did AOPA do to try to save Panshanger??
By Keef
It's interesting that the LAA has lobbied and has been asked to speak in evidence.
The AOPA website mentions a campaign, with a link to savepanshanger.co.uk
By Arnold Rimmer
LAA on a different tack to AOPA. Their representation is from the POV of a governing body of sport
individual sports governing bodies such as the Light Aircraft Association (LAA), have to provide information for all of the sites in England which they consider offer potential to be identified as a nationally or regionally important SASP.

Whilst I don't wish to knock what the LAA does, it seems a shame that aviation is reduced to being represented as a sport rather than as a vibrant industry in it's own right.

Representing aviation as a sport. Would that have cut the mustard with Sheffield?? Surely Sheffield's USP was as a business asset (as per the FSB's statement) to the surrounding industry and business community, not as a "sports venue".

But good on the LAA for being proactive. Maybe time to change my allegiance to be a "Sport" pilot.
By Arnold Rimmer
Well, no-one posted from AOPA so I think I will join you Rod.

Maybe AOPA are not the body to entrust with the fight for airfields??

The Panshanger page on the AOPA UK website is, as Keef says, just a link to the Save Panshanger campaign. I can't find anywhere that says AOPA has been involved in trying to save Sheffield.

But as you very wisely say on another forum, without the support of VFR and IFR traffic, places like Sheffield won't be viable.
By flybymike
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Does the GAAC still exist?
(Originally run by David Ogilvy to campaign for airfield protection.)
By Keef
Yes, the GAAC still exists - it wrote to me a month or so back asking if I had some specific information - sadly, I didn't.
By eltonioni
Arnold Rimmer wrote:without the support of VFR and IFR traffic, places like Sheffield won't be viable.

Eh? :scratch:
By Mick Elborn
Yes GAAC does still exist. AOPA is one of the sponsors, along with most , if not all, other GA organisations . In AOPA's view, GAAC is best placed to handle airfield issues as a single point for GA. AOPA raises issues that are brought to its attention to GAAC, including Sheffield and Panshanger, and lets then use their expertise to determine what action to take. It is for the GAAC to make public, or not, what is happening and this will then be published. AOPA review progress at Board and Working Group meetings.

As others have said, there is a sports angle to our aviating activities that may be of assistance in protecting airfields. This is supported by AOPA, who represent all GA and not just a sector, but recognises when there is more expertise than it may have. This is not just an LAA led initiative.
By Arnold Rimmer
Too many letters in aviation AOPA, GAAC, LAA, PPLIR......... How can AOPA say it represents all of GA when GAAC say "The GAAC is the most representative UK body in General Aviation". I didn't even know that organization existed.

How can potential supporters decide who to sponsor or support when they are all saying that they represent GA? Soon we will have some many organizations that there will be an organization to represent each individual pilot in the UK.

None of the representatives bodies are doing the job that could be done if there were fewer of them. Too many airfields are being lost far too quickly and not one of the representatives bodies is big enough to do anything about it.
By Mick Elborn
Arnold Rimmer - What are you personally doing about airfield closures and other GA issues? Do you actually belong to one of the organisations that you suggest are a waste of space?