Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Keef
I just received an e-mail asking me to write in and object to building 700 houses on Panshanger Aerodrome. I didn't know there's any plan to close it, which this e-mail implied.

Anything known?
By Flintstone
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
My little knowledge of the ownership of Panshanger suggests some quirkiness on the part of the owner (not to be confused with the owner of the school/club) who was once described to me as eccentric. Apparently she only allowed the introduction of the cafe on condition that it would be for use by members only to keep out the hoi polloi. Clearly that failed because in the days when I could be bothered to visit I always managed to get served.

I do remember being told that she was dead set against selling to developers though. Maybe the land has changed hands?
By jofm5uk
I last flew from there as a club member three/four years ago or so... the 700 house rumour was around back then when I researched where to get training in the area.

I am still on their mailing list and facebook page and have heard nothing from them about anything new. A quick google reveals planning permission sought for a change of the existing conditions of their permission to vacate the site early by lafarge for the quarry at panshanger (on the road up to entrance to driveway on the right)

I am going to try get down there this weekend to look at rejoining (I put my PPL on ice back then due to an unexpected arrival of my son).

Will let you know if I find anything out.
By Simon
I believe it's one of the options on a 10-20 year plan.
By Flintstone
Much as I'd hate to see the loss of another airfield the [edit]chap[/edit] running the place hasn't exactly done much to garner sympathy over the years.
By Cityflyer
I trained for the PPL there and it's quite close to where I live. It's also one of only two flying schools left in Herts - the other being at Elstree. It would be a sad loss to see Panshanger close so I'd encourage anyone who has ever flown in there or has an interest in preserving airfields for our and future generations to help where possible.

They have set up a Facebook page for those who engage in social media: http://en-gb.facebook.com/SavePanshange ... e?filter=3

I've also just seen there have a website too: http://www.savepanshanger.co.uk/

Cityflyer
By RedDeer
I take great exception to the comment by Flintstone of the operator of the flying club at Panshanger as a [edited] with its obvious connotation

I am by this definition also a [edited] and also a WW2 RAF Pilot

I am surprised the Moderator has allowed this if for the minimum reason that it is off topic

We are all Pilots wishing to preserve the fantastic atmosphere and facilities we enjoy so much

Old Pilot
By Frank Leopald
Yes, Haim would be an obnoxious, difficult, awkward, not right what ever his ethnicity.

Every time I meet him I say never again.

FL
By Cityflyer
Whatever your views of an individual it's the airfield itself that is most important of all here. People can come and go but the facilities at Panshanger will be gone for good if houses are built on the site.

Let's focus on the threat to the existence of a valuable and historic aerodrome, the livelihoods of the people who are employed there, the impact on the local community and those who fly from EGLG not to mention the lost opportunity for future pilots if the place closes.

Cityflyer
By Frank Leopald
Couldn't agree more CF and Panshanger is worth saving. I wonder what the residents of Halifax and Lysander Way think about loosing a wide open expanse of grass with a couple light a/c movements an hour to be replaced with hundreds of houses?

We all have heard tales of Forumites dropping in to sample the Cafe etc and the welcome they received. Panshanger needs to go on a charm campaign to both visiting pilots and locals. Inviting schools to visit, giving talks to lunch clubs anything to raise positive awareness.

It may not work but at least there'll be some satisfaction that you tried.

FL
By Chipmunk Carol
To the folk who insulted Panshanger, there may have been a time when your opinion was valid, but those days have long been cast to history. There has been much investment in the place over the past six years. It's now being run by Sue - an outstanding manager, who puts her heart and soul into the place.

The charm offensive has been running for a number of years. I take great delight in reintroducing my friends to the place who had long given up on it. The are all very pleasantly surprised.

The attendance of there ever-popular fireworks display this year was exceptional and a great testament to the massive increase in popularity that the airfield is enjoying.
By Flintstone
So the aforementioned 'chap' is staying well clear then? That would be the only explanation for a change in atmosphere. As someone who went out of their way to help him on several occasions including giving weeks of free labour to assist in rebuilding a Cub (which he crashed by the way) and having witnessed him being unpleasant on many occasions, very unpleasant on several and extremely so once I'll cut him no slack whatsoever. His employees and the airfield itself are another matter, I bear them no ill will, but for as long as my patronage might benefit him I'll be staying away.

I'm also sorry if some were offended by the term I used to describe him but frankly I'm bemused as to how anyone might find it insulting. I've worked among many of the faith who found it amusing and indeed the whole film from whence it came. (Don't recall any of them mentioning WW2 though). Perhaps some of us need to get out more :wink:

Signed

Flintstone aka 'Angry Of Hertfordshire'
By Chipmunk Carol
The world is full of challenging people. There is a wonderful feeling of satisfaction when you work out how to work with them rather than letting them bug you.

The way you describe people also defines the kind of person that YOU are. 8)
By Intercepted
I have landed at Panshanger many times over the last couple of years and have always been treated well. The cafe is nice with a good selection of food. I recommend one of the pizzas. Fuel prices are amongst the lowest in uk and their 100LL beat most UL91 outlets. I have a visitors membership for £20 wich entitles me to £5 landings and cheap fuel. If we judge airfields on single individuals we would have to close many airfields in this country. Anyway, the person referred to at Panshanger has never treated me in a bad way.

The only two things I'd like them to change are the silly hi-vis requirement and PPR by phone.
By Cityflyer
Yes the Hi-Vis requirement has been introduced since I was a student there and is irritating but then that's surely a CAA issue, not the operator's preference?

I think the PPR issue is down to the noise abatement in the area. It's not complex when you know what you're trying to avoid - mainly a large house with an angry owner and a couple of small villages. But if you do overfly these things it causes lots of hassle from what I remember having done it myself! A quick call beforehand to check the noise abatement elements of the circuit is surely not too much of a hardship?

Perhaps we should organise an informal fly-in to show support for the airfield? People can then take an independent and informed view of the place as it stands today.

Cityflyer