Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By markpodbery
Hi all,

Apparently I have been told by someone that with the EASA changes etc that PPL'ers can no longer carry out para dropping activities?

You now have to have a CPL?

Can anyone, maybe Nick is the man to let us know!!

This would impact on quite a few friends i know, that do this currently on a PPL licence!

Thanks

Mark
By SteveC
EASA no longer permit a PPL to conduct aerial work, paid or not. Resulted in a lot if parachute clubs being grounded last week. Interim solution in place to get people flying but along term a resolution is needed for the clubs who have been using PPL pilots.

But in a nutshell the days of PPL parachute pilots are basically over.
By TonyC
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
SteveC wrote:EASA no longer permit a PPL to conduct aerial work, paid or not. Resulted in a lot if parachute clubs being grounded last week. Interim solution in place to get people flying but along term a resolution is needed for the clubs who have been using PPL pilots.

But in a nutshell the days of PPL parachute pilots are basically over.

I could see this really hurting some of the smaller clubs.

Still plenty of CPLs want the hours hopefully.
By squawking 7700
re. tugging - I hope not, I'm on duty this Saturday.

I have asked the question though how new tuggies now get checked out and signed off for a 'towing rating' as it now needs an FI or CRI with, I think (but stand to be corrected until I can be bothered to read CAP804), 500 hours instructing in that capacity - where are gliding clubs going get someone with that experience?

By SteveC
Bathman wrote:Does the same apply with Glider Tugging?

Not sure on that one. I am know from the BPA side as I am a BPA Pilot Examiner and am involved in finding a solution.

Tugging will require a rating on the licence shortly but I am not sure at this stage if it falls into the aerial work category. It possibly does if payment is being made to the pilot or by the 'customers'.

The other problem that has hit the clubs is the requirements for dual licensing. That requirement came in for commercial ops on the 17th September. So a lot of clubs that were running non EASA registrations on foreign licences or validations have been hit. Certain types like the PAC are not on the EASA reg and so there is no way of getting the Class Rating added to an EASA licence which effectively ends its use. Jump Schools that have N Reg aircraft being flown by FAA CPL are going to have to get them dual qualified.
By squawking 7700
Steve, will it be quiet at Hibaldstow this weekend then?

Are all para clubs commercial operations? and all para drop pilots paid? I'd have thought there's one or two smaller clubs where the pilot isn't paid (other than free flying a la tugging).
Does that mean there is now no distinction between private and commercial para ops from a drop pilot perspective.

Just asking as I can see it having ramifications for gliding.

By SteveC
squawking 7700 wrote:Steve, will it be quiet at Hibaldstow this weekend then?

Are all para clubs commercial operations? and all para drop pilots paid? I'd have thought there's one or two smaller clubs where the pilot isn't paid (other than free flying a la tugging).
Does that mean there is now no distinction between private and commercial para ops from a drop pilot perspective.

Just asking as I can see it having ramifications for gliding.

Has no effect on us. I saw this coming a number of years ago and as a company we took steps to ensure that we were not caight by it. We are a full AOC commercial operator and have no PPL pilots. In fact if anything we are probably doing OK out of it......

There is a temporary solution being put in place at the moment with the CAA to get those grounded back in the air but long term everyone is going to have to comply.There is no distinction under EASA between private and commercial para ops, it is all aerial work and is thus all considered to be commercial.

However EASA has created it's own problems for us as one of the types we operate is Annex II and the 'trigger events' forcing issue of new Part FCL licences has meant the national rating being removed from the licence and potentially grounding a number of our pilots from that type!!
By Moonah
Does anyone know how the dual licensing requirement will affect parachute clubs flying N reg aircraft.

Does for instance a pilot flying a King Air/Twin Otter on an FAA CPL/IR now require an EASA CPLR/IR + type rating also?

(12k for a Beech type rating - ouch!)
By pands
'Are all para clubs commercial operations? and all para drop pilots paid?'

Nope, never, course not, wouldn't happen here guv! :D

All of the operations using PPLers are now operating as 'Clubs' until further guidance from the people that are supposed to know, ie the Civil Aviation Authority and the British Parachute Association, is forthcoming.

Both have not covered themselves in glory on this and given people earning their living this way a big headache...it wasn't as though EASA was a surprise.

There is probably more water to go under the bridge on the foreign reg issue.

Pands (BPA Examiner)
By SteveC
Moonah wrote:Does anyone know how the dual licensing requirement will affect parachute clubs flying N reg aircraft.

Does for instance a pilot flying a King Air/Twin Otter on an FAA CPL/IR now require an EASA CPLR/IR + type rating also?

(12k for a Beech type rating - ouch!)

Yes they will. With immediate effect. This has been part of the reason for the recent groundings.
By Moonah
This is going to be very expensive for a lot of pilots/clubs.

I've had to renew my Class 1 medical and dust off my CPL but thats not possible for a lot of people.

Next thing we will probably loose the IR exemption for class A. I'd best go and renew/revalidate my IR - oops cant do that now I need to be signed off by an ATO first. Good fun the EASA malarky! :(
By pands
It's only just beginning... :evil:

Given that the cost pressures on centres, sorry, clubs, as you say, this isn't going to help at all.

Can centres, sorry, clubs (done it again!) afford to pay wages that will retain CPL/IRs? Probably not.

I've been lucky and had a great time - I don't think the whole flying game is going to be the same again.