Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By rodan
The reason for the Stansted TMZs is that the assumption that non-squawking or no-mode-C aircraft were outside CAS proved unsustainable in that area after a very close call.

I understand that NATS identified a mid-air between CAT and an infringing light aircraft as a major threat to their business some time ago, hence the increased emphasis on reporting all infringements, the development of infringement-detecting and alerting tools for radar displays, and the TMZs. The extension of Farnborough LARS and the development of the AWARE device can also be seen against this background as mitigation measures rather than acts of altruism towards GA.
Last edited by rodan on Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Timothy
...and if GA as a whole showed a reliable ability to remain outside controlled and restricted airspace when not cleared to enter, such measures would not be necessary, hence the effort that GA people like Irv put into initiatives such as On-Track.
By Cumulo-nimbus
I identify that a major threat to my business is a car collision so you're all going to have to fit CPWS (to your cars) from now on. :shock: (Collision Proximity Warning System). Don't come to me with your bill.
Last edited by Cumulo-nimbus on Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
By rodan
You may say that, but against this background I would consider it a major achievement for GA that mandatory Mode S has (thus far) been successfully batted away.
By Timothy
rodan wrote:You may say that, but against this background I would consider it a major achievement for GA that mandatory Mode S has (thus far) been successfully batted away.
...despite the fact that GA continues not to train its pilots to understand airspace and regulations, navigate properly using up to date technology or read NOTAMs.
By Timothy
I was working on the assumption that, as his username and all his posts have disappeared, he has simply changed his name.
By Jonzarno
rodan wrote:The reason for the Stansted TMZs is that the assumption that non-squawking or no-mode-C aircraft were outside CAS proved unsustainable in that area after a very close call.

I understand that NATS identified a mid-air between CAT and an infringing light aircraft as a major threat to their business some time ago, hence the increased emphasis on reporting all infringements, the development of infringement-detecting and alerting tools for radar displays, and the TMZs. The extension of Farnborough LARS and the development of the AWARE device can also be seen against this background as mitigation measures rather than acts of altruism towards GA.

I don't suppose there was any element of altruism towards the 200-odd people on a CAT that might collide with an infringer either? :pale:
By Colin G
JoeC wrote:
peterh337 wrote:
BTW, does anybody know what caused MikeT (the senior NATS ATCO) to suddenly and comprehensively leave?

Has he left? How do you know?

He's still there causing havoc at Heathrow.
By Rob P
peterh337 wrote:
BTW, does anybody know what caused MikeT (the senior NATS ATCO) to suddenly and comprehensively leave?

Yes.

I understand that he finally found the role of volunteer moderator here had become somewhat unrewarding. I am not certain which of the little spats in particular broke the camel's back.

Rob P
By Timothy
...but could he not resign his post as moderator and remain as a common or garden contributor?
By Rob P
That is a question better directed at Mike himself.

Rob P
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Timothy wrote:...and if GA as a whole showed a reliable ability to remain outside controlled and restricted airspace when not cleared to enter, such measures would not be necessary, hence the effort that GA people like Irv put into initiatives such as On-Track.

It would also help if NATS/DPA would redesign the current dog's dinner of airspace so that it would not require a degree in cartography to work out which particular bit has which restriction.

Simplicity enhances compliance.
By vintage ATCO
As we have often said, the present CAS 'dog's dinner' is the way it is because of the need to accommodate various groups interest, as far as it is possible. It could be made simpler, no doubt, but would probably end up being bigger.
By Jodelman
rodan wrote:Y I would consider it a major achievement for GA that mandatory Mode S has (thus far) been successfully batted away.

But you will need it for a TMZ soon as Mode C will not be sufficient. Why that should be so defeats me.