Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By avtur3
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
OK, I know there are many threads about licensing ... but it seems a very complicated topic ...

So I'd like to pose the question in reverse ...

If I want to fly a three axis microlight

What training do I have to under take and what are the medical requirements ...

Thanks SPC
Last edited by avtur3 on Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
By David H
AT3
A small but important point - Rans S6's aren't all microlights. S6-116 is an SSEA.
By lobstaboy
Assuming no current licence you need an NPPL (microlight) which is a minimum of 25 hours of which 5 hours must be supervised nav training (although there is a "restricted" licence which has a smaller minimum, and operational limitations). Very few folk are ready in the minimum number of hours of couorse. Skills test and various ground exams. Medical requirement is basically the same self certification as for other NPPLs - standard roughly equivalent to professional driving.

If you already have a licence the rules are a bit complex depending on what you have - but in any case you will as a minimum need some difference training. With some licences you will also need a skills test.

Go and talk to your local friendly microlight school to get loads more info. Or send me a PM if you're anywhere near North Weald.

Martin
By avtur3
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Thanks for replies so far,much appreciated.

Just to clarify my curent position, I do not hold any type of pilots licence, initial aim is NPPL ( 3 axis microlight) type flying.

I do have a LGV 1 (old money HGV 1) driving licence and am able to pass the normal 5 year renewal on that without problem.

However I do have a history of migrane (in years gone by was bad but currently - last 20 years - may be 3 - 4 times per year)

Would appreciate any replies regarding the migrane, I don't regard it as a serious problem (although I do know the limitations it causes for a short amount of time), but it is on my medical records ... so no getting away from it ...

I know in years gone by it was a bar to professional flying (been there, done that, got the rejection letters) but is it a bar to NPPL type of flying?

Thanks
Paul
By lobstaboy
Migraine really not likely to be an issue for NPPL(M). If you can pass the professional driving standard it will be OK.

Note that for the NPPL there is no requirement for a medical examination as such. You sign a form to say you believe you meet the standards, and your GP countersigns it to confirm there is nothing in your medical records to prevent that. All very simple (but some GPs can be a bit awkward about signing the form - you will need to take various bits of paper to him/her explaining what they are being asked to do - get advice from your school/instructor). You can start training without the medical declaration, but you must have it to go solo.

Hope that reassures you. Go for it!

Martin