Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Aussie Andy
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
G'day one and all - just back from a few weeks away, including several days flying in the US... including 11,000' over Yosemite National Park, California, in a C172SP, and some fun flying along the Mississippi and St. Croix rivers in Minnesota and Wisconsin in a rented Archer - all great fun, what a wonderful aviation environment: big runways and lovely FBOs who ask for no money: oh for Federal and Municipal subsidies..! (If anyone is looking for somewhere to rent from in Minneapolis area I'd recommend Thunderbird (www.thunderbirdaviation.com) at Flying Cloud Muni KFCM (http://www.airnav.com/airport/fcm)...)

Anyway, now that I'm back I am looking to take some friends down to Sandown on Sat: just wondering if the recent shenanigans are behind us? Wouldn't want to find myself unable to depart due to vehicles on the runway for example...!?

Cheers all!

Andy :-)
By JonEBgood
Britten-Norman signed a (second) two year lease earlier this year and are the airfield operators.

FlyBN's website at flybn.com has these contact details:

Sandown Airfield (EGHN) eghn.com 119.275 MHz ats@eghn.com +44 20 3371 4980
By mikeparsons84
Carla's Cafe is back open and running. She seems happy. I'm going to visit this afternoon. They've put in a heck of a lot of hard work into opening everything back up again after all the troubles.

They deserve a visit.
By Rich V
Carla's Cafe is indeed open and welcoming, and is now the place to book in and pay the landing fee. I visited Sandown the other day without PPR, just a call inbound on 119.275 but if you wish to call beforehand to confirm, Carla is on 07930 242488 as per Mono's post
By Aussie Andy
Thanks all: I got an email back from BN folks in the TWR and they confirmed PPR no longer required, but welcome to call to check conditions at the field before setting out if we wish, otherwise just call on the radio as has been said above.

So a visit to Carla's on Sat afternoon it is!

Thanks all,

Andy
By flighty tyke
AA
Good to hear you are back. I flew in there a month agao, and had no probs, other than it was rather muddy. I was taking a guest tho to the delightful old lady (who used to run the place with her late husband), who still lives in a house overlooking the field.

Don't forget to bring some crabs back (the right sort....)

OT
By Gary H
A slight thread drift.....I'm planning on flying into Bembridge on Sunday to meet a friend holidaying there. I've promised him a 'lap of the island'. Now my assumption is that, from a safety point of view (as in not meeting someone head on coming the other way) it's good airmanship to fly anti-clockwise with 'wet on the right an dry on the left'. Is there a right or wrong procedure?
By Talkdownman
It depends if you are worried about getting wet.

Right-hand traffic rule
16 (1) Subject to paragraph (2), an aircraft which is flying within the United Kingdom with the surface in sight and following a road, railway, canal or coastline, or any other line of landmarks, shall keep them on its left.
By Gary H
Talkdownman wrote:It depends if you are worried about getting wet.

Right-hand traffic rule
16 (1) Subject to paragraph (2), an aircraft which is flying within the United Kingdom with the surface in sight and following a road, railway, canal or coastline, or any other line of landmarks, shall keep them on its left.

Thanks....that's what I assumed!
I will remain close enough to the shore avoid getting wet.
By Talkdownman
Last time I did a lap of IOW it took a lot longer than I (hadn't) planned...
ISTR the wet route took me about 40 mins in a tin SEP.
By Gary H
Talkdownman wrote:Last time I did a lap of IOW it took a lot longer than I (hadn't) planned...
ISTR the wet route took me about 40 mins in a tin SEP.

Surprising isn't it.....just did a quick SD plan and it's 30mins at best, routing DCT Cowes DCT Needles DCT St Catherine's Point DCT Bembridge.
If someone had asked me I would have said "ooh about 10mins" :shock:
By malcolmfrost
The College of Air Training record (in a Baron) was around 18 mins, and was stored in a secret volume in the library, next to the Cherokee height record.