Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Rod1
I think I did answer most of your question, but I probably will not bother next time... :(

Rod1
By malcolmfrost
JJBeall wrote:Looking at Google Earth, there appears to be a train station just a few minutes walk from the hangars. That opens up a lot of possibilities for a weekend break. :D

There's also a bus service from the village about a mile away.
By BlackheathBloke
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
One of my neighbours has a family holiday home very closeby, will be hoping it's a great success so the opening times are a little more flexible than they used to be.
By leiafee
Rod1 wrote:I think I did answer most of your question, but I probably will not bother next time... :(

I think it was probably me who upset him.

It was the "FFS" that made me cross. No call for swearing, even by abbreviation, about a bunch of blokes doing their best to get a new facility up and running.
By leiafee
And it's yes, you need confirmation of the PPR, either by email or give them a phone call. They can't answer and give you permission on the radio as they a) might not be there and b) haven't got a radio license yet.
By garethep
Leia,
I think your original reply hit the spot perfectly......someone obviously got out of bed the wrong side. I know PER seems such an emotive subject to some but is it really that hard to make a phone call. ...especially in circumstances like this where things are changing rapidly.
By malcolmfrost
Why oh why can't I just call on the radio as with 99% of other airfields

:lol: :lol:
By Waveflyer
FlarePath wrote:Had a bad day then. Thanks for the informative and unhelpful non reply.

As you are obviously well informed about the airfield, I still have no answer as to the question re: e-mail ppr request reply.

Please dont assume you know what I want when I arrive, re: locked gates etc.

So please wind your tongue in.

Is this a lesson on - How to make friends and influence people............. :roll:
By FlarePath
Is this a lesson on - How to make friends and influence people.

Wind your neck in

But this is alright then?.

Obviously one rule for some..........
By Waveflyer
FlarePath wrote: Obviously one rule for some..........

Absolutely spot on.

IMHO Leia has earned her right here to show a little frustration.

Have you? :)
By MikeSp
I'm sorry the PPR is causing confusion to some, so I'd like to try to explain.

We are not fully staffed yet, so can'r guarantee to be on site. As the airside area is behind locked gates, you can imagine the problem this would give should an incident occur, as there is no fire or rescue service, nor anyone even to spot you if you are on a remote part of the airfield.

Even when we are there, the aerodrome is used for other activities, such as a rally a couple of weeks ago, and also UAV testing etc., so we can't let you in without liaison.

At the moment, you can't even call us on the radio, as we have not got the licence in place.

The GA section is work in progress, but there certainly has been progress made, and more is coming. If you want to be kept informed of changes, please let us have your email address (there is a survey on our website http://www.fly-llanbedr.co.uk which you can fill in). Every entry is acknowledged by me, not an automated reply, so hopefully i can clarify anything further if needed.

Thank you for taking the time to read this,

Mike
By FlarePath
As I said before I will certainly be visiting sometime soon, the heads up and "from the horses mouth" factual information is appreciated. This info has answered my questions and i look forward to my visit.
By FlyboyStu
It's brilliant that Llanbedr has re-opened. They have some exciting plans for the place, but even now it is well worth a visit.

I flew there on Thursday 5 June on the sort of clear blue sky afternoon that makes me glad to live in this beautiful part of the world. It's a huge airfield; all the runways are massive. PPR is essential for the reasons mentioned by Mike; there was UAV testing whilst I was there and they needed to know my ETA so they could clear the skies for me.

The nearby beach (looks nearer than it actually is; it's a 25 minute walk) is magnificent; with the sea one side and Snowdonia the other this is truly a beautiful place.

No facilities yet, but Caernarfon is 15 minutes away for food and fuel.

Really friendly bunch of people. I'd encourage anyone to fly in and pay them a visit; just request PPR first.
By Mick Elborn
Flew into Llanbedr yesterday. Great bunch of enthusiastic and friendly people there to greet us. I hope this good news story of an airfield re-opening to GA gets better and better.

A Cafe is in the planning, but it is only a 15/20 min walk to Llanbedr and The Victoria Pub or even closer to walk to the beach if you have picnic packed.

Open for flight training as well.

Definitely one to put in your log book. Website with PPR details here.
By Vlad the Imbiber
To echo the two above posts ..... Visited today. Beautiful location. The Fly Llanbedr people are doing a good job with their start-up and were very welcoming to the visitors (of whom there were quite a few). Great to see a new field opened up.