Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Just saw this arrive in the app store....

Downloading to try it now.

Update...

Looks good, as an existing user of the full iPad version this is clearly less feature rich but I would suggest a great product for those with an iPad who want a free solution.

I understand from Twitter this product will be updated in time for the Olympics to allow Atlas Control flight plans to be submitted?

That will be a huge benefit ... Saves having to carry a windows laptop around to use the PC version of SkyDemon Light.
Last edited by peterlondon on Fri May 04, 2012 5:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
By JonathanB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Having looked into a bit of iOS programming, once an app is created it generally isn't a massive amount of work in XCode with the storyboard feature to create new screens for the alternative architecture and connect up all the outlets and targets to the same code behind the scenes. This of course assumes the original app was created in XCode with using storyboards to start with of course and that it was created without hard coding in size values of screen items etc!

Would be great on the iPhone, although I wonder how small it would be - would probably a bit more work to enable switching between map and side views rather than show both on screen to make it usable I'm guessing. :)
By Tim Dawson
SkyDemon developer
My main concerns are how much memory the iPhone has (I don't actually know, but SkyDemon is pretty memory hungry on the iPad) and whether it'd be worth it in terms of the number of people who actually want to navigate an aeroplane using a mobile phone. Doing the work to make SkyDemon happen on Android seems more compelling (though that's still a huge work item).
By joe-fbs
For the benefit of those as old and dozy as me, you have to get it via the "App Store". It does not work via www.skydemonlight.com.

Sorry, that's probably obvious to most of you but it confused me for a while.
By joe-fbs
Wow, looks just as good as the original.

It's also got a very nice touch to allow the gpx file to be emailed which solves the "How do I get data off this thing?" question.

Thanks very much Skydemon (and CAA /NATS for paying for it?).
By rholder
I downloaded SD Light for iPad thinking that I would be able to file a (test) flight plan today in the same way as the PC version does during this test weekend.

Apparently not. The SD Light for PC has the Olympic restricted area shown as described in the prelude to the system. SD Light for iPad is showing for today's TRA to the east of Stapleford with no sign of the Olympic area.

I and a colleague spent a good hour trying every menu option to find the "File Flight Plan" option. Didn't find it - as it isn't there !

But brill graphics and useability.

Thank you SD :-)

RFWH
By Keef
I can't find it on the App store. Is that because I'm in Germany right now?

Edit: found it by wading through new stuff on the App store. Searching by name didn't find it.
By Lefty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Where is it on apps Store? I've been on there searched for skydemon light a all permutations - and all I get is the "full fat" Skydemon which it identifies I already have installed.

Cancel the above - I found it. However it was strange that App store search did not identify it until I refined my search to "released within last 7 days".
By Keef
It didn't, but that may be because I was accessing the App store from Germany. Anyway, I have it now and will play.