Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By TheJaywalker
I've been asked by a colleague to investigate what's required to undertake some flying to trial an experimental sensor system.

On the face of it, it seems as simple as slinging the kit in the back of a 152 and flying up and down. However, he wants to fly back and forth over a 2km x 2km patch at low altitude. This sounds to me like something that one would need to seek guidance and permission from the CAA before undertaking - so does anyone out there know which bit of the Belgrano I should contact to discuss this further?
By Rob P
RPV?

Rob P
By TheJaywalker
Dave,

Many thanks, email on it way to ausops.

Rob,

RPV, apart from airspace issues surrounding RPVs, the experimental sensor system (when built) could simply be slung in the back of a light aircraft so my colleague doesn't what the expense of modifying an airframe.
By Rob P
TheJaywalker wrote:RPV, apart from airspace issues surrounding RPVs, the experimental sensor system (when built) could simply be slung in the back of a light aircraft so my colleague doesn't what the expense of modifying an airframe.

Sorry was a bit rushed this afternoon.

RPV was shorthand for one of the nice big balsa aircraft such as the modellers fly at our strip. Any expense incurred in modifying one of those would easily be covered by the savings in operating costs.

No particular airspace problems unless attach as you say they will need to operate low.

Rob P
By Neil MacG
TheJaywalker wrote:I've been asked by a colleague

So if this is for work - might there be a commercial issue to the flight. Obviously may not be an issue if the required licence is held, but just wondered what might happen if something went wrong and it transpired you were doing this as part of the duties of your job.

Neil
By AlanB
Gravity / Megnetic sensors by any chance? What altitude?
By Pete L
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
"Hold on I've got something...Climb"

"Climb some more"

"Climb some more"

"Now its below us"

"Oh, its the ****ing compass".
By Mike Cross
AIC 86/2004 (notification of unusual aerial activities.
By TheJaywalker
English Al,

I couldn't possibly comment, Although the weight might rule out Rob's RPV idea :wink:

Neil,

Not an issue regarding required licence.

Mike,

Many thanks