Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
I once declined to do a session in the tower after 5 hours in the simulator where we were developing new procedures, as I thought the HF issues would make it more likely that I would make a mistake.

Does that count as industrial action?

Other than that I've not been involved in any, nor heard of any occurring.

I might impose distress and squalor on passengers by delaying them, but there are usually some pretty good reasons for that. I'd welcome some personal feedback from Perdix on my past despicable behaviour.
By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I think the best analogy in this thread was the post-driving test additional coaching.
I look back and cringe now at how little I knew when I attained my PPL, but how much I thought I knew.

I think proper use of GPS is part of the solution - but I do see how uninformed use, particularly when coupled with a 'turn-up and fly' mentality almost certain causes problems.

Most people I know using SD have never read the manual, and infer it's functionality from a combination of what others told them on the grapevine and how they assume it should behave. We've even seen comments from experienced users in this forum who have accidentally switched off airspace features etc.

We should also include that tools like SD can be very valuable flight planning tools as well as navigation tools - but again I suspect this is under used. (On occasion I've even hooked it up to X-Plane to simulate navigation through a bit of 'complex' airspace).

I think you could easily have 5 hour ground school and 5 in the air on proper coaching of electronic flight planning and GPS map based navigation (including the equivalent of 'partial panel' training by unexpectedly switching off the GPS from time to time).
cjm_wales liked this
By Irv Lee
David Wood wrote:
Irv Lee wrote:I am not sure the instructor who raised this has had much clear advice other than from me and yet I am the one who has been told he is talking in riddles.

Hmmm... :?

Apologies, I genuinely did not read or even see your post until you posted this - I think I must have been posting at the time, I did see a mention of your name on page two but thought that must be a real name behind a forum name of someone but didn't check back.
Being on a small Android phone at moment, I have also just given a like to something in this thread without meaning to, due to finger trouble during Android 're draw', but I have no idea what, I was aiming at something else.
added: (Just found what the like was, it was the post quoted, I will leave it, I agree I was wrong!)
I can't give advice to instructors on how to teach not to infringe. I can however, as others have done on here, comment on observations.

The Farmer had it spot on when he blamed the press the button and go flying brigade. So how do people get so complacent? We are all taught about pre-flight planning whether it is with chinagraph and ruler or by computer.

I see the ratio of local bimbles to a reasonable cross country flight at possibly at least ten to one. A local bimble in a familiar area usually needs the minimum of pre flight planning. A look at the weather and a check of the notams and off you go. Planning a real cross country starts the day before and is finalised shortly before flying. The point I am getting to is that some pilots get so used to the "local" brief being enough, they fall into the trap of doing little more for a cross country trip. Ghengis pointed out to us the name for this. Normalisation of deviance.

One further thought. There are a lot of folk out there who are not computer literate. How do they manage nowadays?
spaughty liked this
By johnm
One further thought. There are a lot of folk out there who are not computer literate. How do they manage nowadays?

I don't think it is any longer possible to be a pilot and totally computer illiterate. It's just about impossible to plan a flight and get a proper briefing without using on line tools.
By Irv Lee
AlanM wrote:Irv

I am not sure the instructor who raised this has had much clear advice other than from me

Wow. Get you!
:shock:

I have corrected it and apologised now, as I had missed some, but at the time of writing I thought that was correct, but seriously, aren't most posts are the standard stuff of general airspace/infringement threads - what is Bathman supposed to advise a pupil? Is he supposed to take a student and say "I have a question for you... How many infringements would there be if there wasn't any controlled airspace? Research that, see you next week." ?
WHY has he been on an approved seminar and needs this question answering here?
AlanM liked this
By David Wood
Irv Lee wrote:WHY has he been on an approved seminar and needs this question answering here?

Whilst I agree that some of the posts haven't been necessarily 'on topic' in terms of providing useful advice to Bathman, nonetheless his question is a reasonable one and, with respect, I think that we should treat it as such. That is certainly what I tried to do.
PaulB liked this
By TheFarmer
The Farmer had it spot on when he blamed the press the button and go flying brigade. So how do people get so complacent? We are all taught about pre-flight planning whether it is with chinagraph and ruler or by computer.

Thanks 'd.o.'

But the worrying thing is that it's the complacent ones who don't consider themselves as complacent!!
By stevelup
Let's say you know your particular bit of flight planning software absolutely inside out. You've been using it since before the iPad even existed...

Are you 'complacent' if you quickly whack a route in, spend a couple of minutes checking weather and NOTAMs, then go flying?

At what point is the line blurred between complacency and competency or capability?

We flew down to Dijon the week before last and I must have spent an absolute maximum of five minutes planning that trip. I'm clearly a danger to myself and others...

This really is still massive thread drift though. The original post was by an instructor who is forbidden by his ATO from teaching his students in a sensible and responsible manner. It's an inexcusable situation and I don't really know what the subsequent five pages of waffle have contributed to the original question to be honest. It's just drifted into the same ground as the one of many infringement / GPS is the work of the devil threads.
MercianMarcus liked this