Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By RichardC
Ladies and Gents,

Has anyone flown into Newmarket (July Course) please? If so, any observations or advice on runway condition etc? I've had the official briefing etc but any first hand knowledge would be useful. We'll be in a PA22.

Thanks,
Richard
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Took a PA 28 in there a couple of years ago, it wasn't an issue as long as you are briefed and they know you're coming it's pretty straightforward
Been a while for me too. It used to be one way in and opposite way out on one of the runways due to stables and trees. Bloody great hump in the middle took out a Seneca a few years ago.

I think the runway was what they called the July strip. That aside it was OK.
You need to fill out a form available through the jockey club to be land there.
Pretty easy, just call them and they'll post it to you.
If your flying in on a race day there rules about takeoff and landing etc that's described in the form you'll receive.
Grass is short and the July course is plenty long enough. 1000m
The rowley mile has a nasty hump in the middle.
By rml133
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I flew in in a fully loaded TB20 some years ago. The grass was somewhat long, but then so was the strip. I'm just pointing out to not expect it to be mown short like a regularly used runway. I'm sure it's not the groundspeople's priority.
Thanks for all your replies.

We flew in at the weekend and all went well. We'd already got PPR and the briefing, and done the paperwork (all by email). As various people have said, that all made it very clear that its over 900m, land on 14, take off on 32 etc.

The grass was short and not too bumpy at all. Apparently there's no preferred frequency nor a preferred climb out heading for a missed approach, but avoid buildings, people and horses. An obvious point, but tailwind take-offs (and subsequent rate of climb) in hot weather obviously require some thought.

Richard