Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By reimomo
Wanted: Birthday lunch venue for tomorrow that isn't Le Touquet.

I'm sure this has been asked before...

Le Touquet is great. I go regularly. But is there a destination, less than 90mins by Warrior from Biggin, where one can walk to a choice of really great restaurants, then onto a beach/interesting town/something similar, that isn't called Le Touquet?

I know if may sound odd, but I've no interest in cabs this time. I just want get out and walk. Max 2km. UK/Continent, not bothered.

Sandown and The Beach Hut - I've been and it's great. Leads by a short head right now.

Goodwood seemed promising - restaurant a long walk, nothing much else there, but looked good. But they don't do lunch on a weekday...

Shoreham - yeah, ok, but we go often enough in the car for other reasons. And a really good lunch is a walk to Brighton, really isn't it?

Alderney - how long is the walk to town/beach? Anywhere to eat that's really good?

Keyston pub? Short walk as comes with runway attached! Supposed to be very good food... Although clearly no beach :)

Lee on Solent? Anyone recommend a top restaurant?

It doesn't need to be Michelin starred, by the way. Just serving fresh, local food, ideally seafood, in a good setting.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Alderney airport to town about 10 minutes to beach about half an hour. Georgian house Victoria St in town Divers bar at Braye beach hotel
XX, Whizzchick liked this
By mick w
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
reimomo wrote:Thanks. Ostend looks great, but isn't town a bit of a long walk?

Midden Zeeland. Free bikes. This could be it.

Bus every 10 mns from the Airport , for a couple of Euro's :thumright: Ostend .
By Rob P
If the objection is simply rip-off taxi drivers (one I share) can I suggest Calais and its one euro bus ride into town, followed by a meal at either Le Channel, or Histoire Ancienne?

Detailed instructions are here

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=70764&start=45

Rob P

http://www.restaurant-lechannel.com/en/restaurant/
http://www.histoire-ancienne.com/ (Keep sound turned off)
By reimomo
It's honestly not. I'm aware of the French the-drive-to-pickup-the-clients-is-a-fare-in-itself thing.

It's actually just the faff. L2K is so great in that when you want to go, you just go. That, and it's just so great to walk after being in a cockpit for an hour +
By Geraint Pinches
Keyston - I can endorse that. About a 20 min walk to the pub.

Ostend - yes, 20 min and 2 Euro bus ride. Definitely not walkable.

Alderney would get my vote best. You can walk across the entire island in an hour and the airport to St Annes is a 10 min walk. Plus fuel at c. £1 per litre.
By john ball
About one hour in your Warrior from Biggin Hill is Great Massingham in Norfolk. The Dabbling duck pub is very good, it is a ten minute walk from airfield into pretty village. I would advise booking as the puib was full when we went. Landing fee is small donation in the hole in the wall, I seem to remember. I went there about a year ago from Biggin in my RV6. Runway concrete.
By 421C
reimomo wrote:Wanted: Birthday lunch venue for tomorrow that isn't Le Touquet.

I'm sure this has been asked before...

Le Touquet is great. I go regularly. But is there a destination, less than 90mins by Warrior from Biggin, where one can walk to a choice of really great restaurants, then onto a beach/interesting town/something similar, that isn't called Le Touquet?

I know if may sound odd, but I've no interest in cabs this time. I just want get out and walk. Max 2km. UK/Continent, not bothered.

I know exactly what you mean. Le Touquet ticks so many boxes I used to find myself flying there too regularly and wanting something different but it's just not possible to find the combination of cost and convenience and facilities at an airport with a great on-site restaurant.

I know it's not helpful to suggest something that doesn't meet the very clear request (no taxis!) but the combination of Jersey and the Atlantic Hotel is one I'd recommend.
The Atlantic ( http://www.theatlantichotel.com/dining ) has a really excellent main restaurant. It's great value, especially at lunch, and not too busy. I've lunched there thinking the bill would have been twice as much to get the same quality in the southern UK. It also has a bar/lounge area for a quicker meal, also very good quality and value. It's about 4.5km from the airport, near the beach on the South West. It's a really quick and easy 5min taxi ride for less than £10 and the taxis are honest and reliable. You can walk from hotel to beach. I'd be surprised if you went there and didn't think it was worth overcoming the no taxi preference!
By reimomo
The Dabbling duck pub
Great call. Looks very nice indeed. Would be good to have something else around, but can always go for a walk, countryside looks nice.

That and Alderney winning right now.
By kanga
no beach, and no 'choice of walkable' restaurants with exceptionally fresh seafood, but ..

The Aviator at (on) Gloucestershire Airport is, by airport eatery, indeed any 'pub', standards, excellent by reputation for freshly made food with fresh, much of it local, ingredients. On a weekday still (just) in school term it should not be too busy at lunchtime even on a nice day.

Oh, and JAM is open for an extra day (and next Mon) for RIAT visitors to the area; and the cafe cakes there have had the Sengupta nod .. :)
By jollyrog
Or...

Depart via Sevenoaks, then Tunbridge Wells to seaside, turn right at Littlehampton, Dunsfold, Godalming, Reigate and into Redhill for some quality foor at The Pilot's Hub. A very short walk from your aircraft to your table.

Probably an overlooked destination for someone based at Biggin, as is often the way with things on your doorstep.