Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Flintstone
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Crash one wrote:
Flintstone wrote:
Crash one wrote:I bought an A6E,
Headset adaptor didn't work, squeal on transmit, transmit range useless.
This may be finger trouble or aircraft interference, wood and fabric?

Oddly enough I'm happy with my A6E in a wood and fabric airframe. Are you pressing the button before speaking?
:D

Err, yes I do believe I did push the button! :clown: In fact I also tried a remote PTT which said TX when I used it.
At a range of 20 yd it worked, called a ground station at 3 miles at 2000ft, they didn't hear me. Called a Microlight from the ground at 200 ft x 300 yds on final, "unreadable".
RX was OK from 14 nm.
I don't trust the thing.

Oddly enough I had similar results with an old A20 which I put down to it being, well........old. Maybe these things are fussy about where they're used?
By seanjd
I've got the Yaesu FTA750 and used it for nearly 10 hours now, and am really pleased with it.
I'm using a remote PTT switch, and have an external aerial on the aircraft. I have saved all the local frequencies to the unit in a bank called, erm, local, and then if going further afield, I create another memory bank and save the frequencies for the route. Doesn't take long when doing it as part of your route planning, but it is easy enough to type in a frequency if needed on the 'fly' :wink:
I carry the spare dry cell battery pack within reach, with a good set of batteries in it ready to use if required. I have had good R/T exchanges at 20 miles plus, which was nice :)

The only thing I would like is a dedicated case,or base mount for it to easily fix to in the cockpit*

*Hoping someone will now submit a link?
Sooty25, shortwing liked this
By Crash one
I screwed a U shaped (machined to fit) block of aluminium to the panel to suit the belt clip.
Right now it fits the Icom clip which is a bit wider, this will be attended to.
By timjenner
Is there a way to lock out transmit if using for receive only (e.g. At an airshow)? Quite fancy one as a backup when flying and to use for receive on the ground, but would be concerned about accidentally keying the PTT!

Thanks,
Tim
By riverrock
Not sure.
When scanning, normally it will stop scanning when the PTT is pressed (and you can transmit). However this doesn't happen when you turn off the "PTT SCAN STOP" feature. I think this means that PTT is locked out. However I'm not 100% sure (there is a lock feature for the other buttons).
By patowalker
timjenner wrote:Is there a way to lock out transmit if using for receive only (e.g. At an airshow)? Quite fancy one as a backup when flying and to use for receive on the ground, but would be concerned about accidentally keying the PTT!

Thanks,
Tim

Not much chance of accidentally keying the PTT, as it is under a rubber cover and requires a conscious effort to depress.
By Ridders

Snap re audio feedback problems.
The Icom I bought was useless with headset adapter, the reason I bought it, returned to Icom UK who failed to fix it and they then gave up on post sales support, which I was less than happy about.

I wouldnt touch an Icom product again, which is why I bought the Yaesu at Sun n Fun at a low show price, last year.

I have been very happy with the Yaesu I bought and it works a treat with various headsets!
By Crash one
shortwing wrote:
This may be finger trouble or aircraft interference, wood and fabric?
Harry Mendelsohn swapped it for a Yaesu 550, (Highly recommend them for excellent service).
So far RX range is far better, sound quality better, headset adaptor works + it can fitted either way up (single plug).
Yaesu comes with mains charger, headset adaptor, data USB cable, cig plug charger included.
I've heard/read bad opinions of Icom, good opinions of Yaesu elsewhere on the forum.
If the wx holds up I'll try it today airborne.
Watch this space.

Thank you, be good to read your experience.

Sorry this took so long.
Weather didn't hold up till yesterday.
However, the comparison was like chalk and cheese.
Yaesu, perfect reception 5 x 5. Transmitted to an a/c at 8miles, reported as 5 x 5. "Clear as a bell".
Harry Mendelsohn swapped the Icom plug on the HM200 2 place intercom box for the Yaesu plug.
So, clip handset to panel, plug in intercom , plug in power cable, swap or not swap aerial BNC plug.
Make sure in "com settings" that "external mic" is selected, plug in headsets and go.
Problems solved.
Ridders liked this
By Sooty25
Crash one wrote:
Sooty25 wrote:is it type approved for aviation use?

If it works who is going to check?

AAIB and insurance companies in the worst case.

how well does it work? Type approval of radios involves a lot of specific RF and EMC testing. The extra £50 isn't just because there is an aeroplane on the box!