Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Does anyone have any advice on the cheapest way to import some second hand engine bits without being charged unfairly by Customs?

I've sourced a second hand crankshaft, prop hub and connecting rods for my VW engine. The parts were purchased in the 90's by the seller but never used. They've been properly stored and are pristine. The price is very good but I'm worried it may have a big customs and VAT charge added on entry. I've had that before and it was higher than the item I'd purchased!

Anyone know the best way for him to label it to reduce my charges? Or is there another way? I'm not talking big money (788 USD), but I'm on a budget I don't want to bust it!

SS
The parts are genuine HAPI VW aero-conversion parts rather than just stock VW parts, so hopefully that should be easy enough to prove?

What about VAT if the parts are second hand? Does the fact they're from the USA mean they are still subject to VAT even if second hand?

SS
By cockney steve
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Strictly speaking, they're not secondhand ! Otherwise, everybody would use a nominee "fronter" to "buy" their goods and stick a customs Dec on the parcel "secondhand umgrummits"

Nevertheless, these items are probably "unused,store-soiled"...not "new-old stock" Devil's advocate argues that they've been pre-owned by an end-user (who chose not to use them) therefore, "secondhand"
on balance i'd declare "secondhand aero-engine components" and hope a clued-up engineering-type Customs Inspector doesn't look too closely.
The parts are liable for vat. and the vat is on not just the parts but also the shipping costs... Anyhow as secondhand parts the seller has top state the value of the parts. If they are described as second hand new/old stock and have a 'sensible' valuation then you should have little to complain about.
By nallen
Cheaper to declare them as car parts worth $200 and pay the tariff? Plus you'll pay less VAT. We won't tell if you don't.
By TheFarmer
Just get them sent to a hotel near Flint or Wides's next roster visit, and give them a nice few bottle of Ribena for getting them from the hotel and bringing them home.

You'll save £200+.

Having "SAMPLE"'written on the package used to work, but they got wise to that. I'm waiting for a $4,000 shipment of various aero parts at the moment* and the tax and duty is scary.

* Flint would have told me to jog on if I'd asked him to bring this lot back.
By ChampChump
During the Great Rebuild, parts were arriving from hither and yon. One or two might have been brought over by friendly types and I might have stuffed an engine mount in a suitcase myself, but I paid a fair amount in tax and VAT too, plus a cut for the companies en route. The End User number saved a bit of tax, once organised.

I hope it arrives in good order, one way or another.
By tnowak
Have a read here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/end-use-relief

You want to use the "simplified end use" process which allows infrequent import of goods.
I think your shipper has to put the appropriate words in the customs form.
From my limited experience if you use a shipper like DHL or FedEx they seem to understand the process. Parcel Force don't appear to and charge standard VAT and import duty every time. You then battle to get the import duty back. You always have to pay VAT I think.
TonyN