Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Somewhere near Oban is where changeover from 119.875 to 127.275 happens (I think a line is marked on the half mil map but don't have it to hand right now).

127.275 certainly worked better around Oban and Skye last week - even down at 2500 in amongst the hills for much of the time.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
riverrock wrote:Paul - I don't know off the top of my head although we have two - one top of the aircraft that looks like the fin on most bulldogs, one underneath which is much smaller.

Ta. The one on the fin is probably the VOR/LOC antenna.

Who flew it down to Old Warden yesterday? They left the canopy slightly open when it started raining. I was going to close it but I was on the other side of the fence and I thought I might break the wooden gate if I tried to climb over it... :clown:
By amblikai
riverrock wrote:amblikai - looks like SkyDemon might be wrong / that frequency missing. There are lots of dates and times on that link in the AIP - I'm afraid I don't have time to cross check at the moment.

Ah ok i see what you mean. Yes you're right! That's bad of me i just took it as read from SkyDemon, should always double check these things.

Charliesixtysix wrote:Somewhere near Oban is where changeover from 119.875 to 127.275 happens (I think a line is marked on the half mil map but don't have it to hand right now)

Yes looking at the AIP, the Scottish FIS Sectors map has the correct frequency and the boundary seems to be somewhere around Oban. It can be seen here:

Scottish Control FIS Sectors

Thanks for pointing that out guys!
By riverrock
"Looks like a fin" not on the fin. :)
This is a pic someone else took a few years ago. The ADF is gone now but I think the VHF aerials haven't changed.

A BA captain and a CAA Examiner from the booking sheet - for us people up North - yesterday was a scorcher :)

Sorry amblikai - this is clearly a thread hi-jack. If you're struggling to reach anyone, I tend to change to 121.5 - then if I have a problem, hopefully an airliner will be able to relay. However easiest if have more than one Comm (or the ability to "Dual Watch").
By Paul_Sengupta
Ah, right, yes, the one on top, the one which looks like a fin, is the same as I have. I think it's pretty useless for VHF, was probably better for UHF (it has two antennas inside it, at least mine has). The one on the bottom looks better, under mine I just have a tiny UHF fin antenna down there. Contemplating how I can improve the radio without changing the looks too much.
By amblikai
No such thing as a thread hijack with pretty pictures!

To be honest, i wasn't too bothered. It was a nice clear day with a good lookout and i figured i'd be able to get in touch with Oban or Prestwick should i want to. I had Prestwick TWR on my secondary comms and Scot Info 119.875 on primary so occasionally could hear the one sided conversations to them.

Worst case scenario i'm not averse to using 121.5 though i don't habitually monitor it.

Discuss!!
By riverrock
The main reason for having a service in this fairly quiet airspace is to have someone to help if there are issues. So if I'm out of radio comms, I tune in 121.5 (don't say anything) so if there are issues, I don't spend time fiddling with the radio.
However I would stick with Scottish Info on a Basic Service if I could reach them (as they would at least know who I am / where I'm going). That far North / West / low I doubt you'd be able to have reached Prestwick Approach (and even less likely to have reached tower). I tend to lose comms with tower once half way up Arran.
By amblikai
riverrock wrote:The main reason for having a service in this fairly quiet airspace is to have someone to help if there are issues. So if I'm out of radio comms, I tune in 121.5 (don't say anything) so if there are issues, I don't spend time fiddling with the radio.
However I would stick with Scottish Info on a Basic Service if I could reach them (as they would at least know who I am / where I'm going). That far North / West / low I doubt you'd be able to have reached Prestwick Approach (and even less likely to have reached tower). I tend to lose comms with tower once half way up Arran.

Sorry i meant APP and i typed TWR! :D
I've actually heard 2 way with Prestwick Approach as far north as Lochgilphead.

Do people generally monitor 121.5 on secondary comms? It's not something i was taught or a habit i've picked up but thinking about it now, seems like a really good idea, if not for your own communication so much as being able to relay should others get into trouble.
By Miscellaneous
Dave W wrote:Image
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Well thanks very much Mr W. :shock: :D I did think about replying with a Vigenère cipher, however since it doesn't have pretty pictures I decided to ask the OP where his pretty pictures are from his Oban trip?
By XX
Great to see the photos and read the advice, as we are up in Oban for a holiday next week. More than likely we will be driving, but there's an outside chance of flying the TB up, annual, weather and other bookings allowing.

Looking forward to it even more now. It isn't a part of the country we have explored before.
By amblikai
XX wrote:Great to see the photos and read the advice, as we are up in Oban for a holiday next week. More than likely we will be driving, but there's an outside chance of flying the TB up, annual, weather and other bookings allowing.

Looking forward to it even more now. It isn't a part of the country we have explored before.

I hope it works our that you can fly. It's a beautiful part of the world!
Also the approach into Oban RWY 19 is pretty cool!
By Miscellaneous
Thanks amblikia, looks like an ideal day for the area, showing the scenery off at its best. It's another cracker today, had hoped to fly myself however she was booked am and pm. As if that wasn't bad enough another syndicate member called to ask what the weather was like as he was planning going to Ireland (in another aircraft), then text me from 1500ft as he flew overhead. :(

Oh well, the grass is looking good. :lol:
By Miscellaneous
amblikai wrote:Also the approach into Oban RWY 19 is pretty cool!

As has been said before take careful note of the wind direction when landing on 19, if airfield staff can bee seen lined up outside watching it's likely they are out for some entertainment!

Ask me how I know, and yes I entertained (on numerous visits). :oops:

PS hope you remembered to get your card stamped?