Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By David Wood
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
There have been a couple of threads on here recently which have seemed, at least to me, to involve fairly thinly-disguised rejoicing at the downfall of others. Is this really the way in which we should behave?

To me the value in reading about and maybe discussing other people's accidents is that it is a constant reminder that such things can happen to us all, no matter how experienced or inexperienced, competent or incompetent, careful or careless. God alone knows the number of times I've read a report and thought to myself, 'there but for the grace...'

Just a thought for a rainy saturday morning (when I should be flying but am not).
Rob P, Ben K, Shiny and 30 others liked this
By SteveX
When you have a guy who a few years back posted 'Ive just walked into the club room at Bourne and nobody has acknowledged me'. And then the same person cannot put an ancient banger of an aircraft down without running off the end, yes I can see why people laugh.
Flintstone, Josh, flybymike and 1 others liked this
By Flintstone
I'm sorry but...... :lol:

(For clarity it was the "banger of an aircraft" that made me laugh out loud).
ak7274 liked this
By SteveX
But it was wasnt it!!! Not just that one alone but Im sorry Aztecs are damned ugly and ancient. You look at the Diamond Twin Star and just laugh!
By Flintstone
I had the experience of converting my IR in an Aztec. The aviation equivalent of a Ford Transit.
SteveX liked this
By SteveX
And from 2008 we had 'What did you do today? I flew to the North Pole. '

Why not just 'I did it, trip report to follow'?
By foxmoth
There have been a couple of threads on here recently which have seemed, at least to me, to involve fairly thinly-disguised rejoicing at the downfall of others. Is this really the way in which we should behave?

I would say this only happens where people have promoted themselves to a position that they think fits them but their peers think otherwise - and generally they deserve what they get!
Katamarino liked this
By Dave Phillips
AndyR wrote:
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
SteveX wrote:You look at the Diamond Twin Star and just laugh!

I often do that! :D

Likewise. Much prefer a proper aeroplane :lol:

Suits me. I'll stick with the Diamond(s). :thumleft:
By 421C
foxmoth wrote:

I would say this only happens where people have promoted themselves to a position that they think fits them but their peers think otherwise - and generally they deserve what they get!

Since you are so sensitive to the niceties of peer opinion, you'll have noticed the 21 likes David's post had and that the peer consensus is that this "he deserved it" schadenfreude is unpleasant. To put it politely.
GrahamB, Peter Mundy, G-BLEW and 4 others liked this
By Lefty
Steve X.
I find it most distasteful that you continue to use this forum to slag off individuals whom you happen to have taken a dislike to, and who are :
a) not going to see your malicious dribble, and
b) not here to respond to you.

It seems to me that this is no better than a stalker.

If you dislike the guy so much, give him a ring and tell him. Just don't continue to bore us with your personal vendetta. :evil:
421C, Peter Mundy, PeteSpencer and 7 others liked this
By Spooky
Flintstone wrote:I had the experience of converting my IR in an Aztec. The aviation equivalent of a Ford Transit.

Didn't think the Aztec was that rapid :lol:
By Shiny
From the prospective of a relatively junior forumite, who is (and always will be) hungry to learn from those more experienced, I find myself reluctant to post with questions, certainly in any other place than the Students forum , for fear of being put firmly in my place by the seemingly self appointed group that act as 'judge and jury' over matters deemed to be not worthy for discussion - and are all too quick to pipe up with a suitable put down.

Not a great incentive for those looking to learn.
By PeteSpencer
I attended in London at AOPA last night one of Timothy's (free) seminars on the niceties of RNAV.

This was the ninth such seminar he has given, freely and in his own time under the auspices of PPLIR Europe and there at least 6 more in the pipeline.

To me this speak volumes for the man and to all you users of Garmin430Ws and above I would strongly recommend attending.

I too, abhor the personal vendetta being carried out on here.

Peter
Rob P, Peter Mundy, Moli liked this