Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By QSD
....anyway, I think F'boro west deserve some praise for the way they guided a lost and disoriented solo student back to Redhill yesterday, via the Biggin ATZ. Good job done, probably saving multiple airspace infringements or worse. I was flying at the time and overheard the unfolding drama, sadly just a little too far away to help.

The student was eventually intercepted by an instructor from her own school who guided her back to a safe landing.
James Chan, rich_g85, Flyin'Dutch' and 1 others liked this
By jollyrog
QSD wrote:....anyway, I think F'boro west deserve some praise for the way they guided a lost and disoriented solo student back to Redhill yesterday, via the Biggin ATZ. Good job done, probably saving multiple airspace infringements or worse. I was flying at the time and overheard the unfolding drama, sadly just a little too far away to help.

The student was eventually intercepted by an instructor from her own school who guided her back to a safe landing.

East?
By GolfHotel
jollyrog wrote:
QSD wrote:....anyway, I think F'boro west deserve some praise for the way they guided a lost and disoriented solo student back to Redhill yesterday, via the Biggin ATZ. Good job done, probably saving multiple airspace infringements or worse. I was flying at the time and overheard the unfolding drama, sadly just a little too far away to help.

East?

From my point of view the message is clear. ATC did their job well. Helped out when needed and no drama ensued.

East or West is insignificant detail.
James Chan, G-BLEW, T67M liked this
By chevvron
stevelup wrote:What nonsense. West would have deliberately guided him into the nearest hillside to make way for some toffs inbound in their private jet. Or something.

Why do you have to spoil your impeccable record with a stupid remark similar to James Chan's outporings?
I'm glad my successors can attract such plaudits; you must bear in mind that the Farnborough East controller would have been required to qualify on West and Approach before training on East and North, thus would have taken similar action whichever sector he/she was responsible for .
By stevelup
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Yes, sorry if that was too subtle.

My post was in reference to some of the bizarre stuff in Flintstone's infringement thread. I was actually saying the opposite of what you thought I was Chevron.
Danny liked this
By chevvron
Talkdownman wrote:Please excuse chevvron, his brain has been addled by doing Farnborough LARS for over three decades....

....followed by 8 years of withdrawl symptoms. :cry:
Last edited by chevvron on Mon May 23, 2016 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T67M liked this
By red wine
+1 for recognition of the Farnborough LARS service.

It's a busy piece of airspace and they handle all manner of traffic. Including me, non-transponder equipped, requesting routing through their overhead. Having identified through position reporting and occasionally asking me to change levels, I've always had a great service from them and very much appreciate it.
By jollyrog
red wine wrote:+1 for recognition of the Farnborough LARS service.

It's a busy piece of airspace and they handle all manner of traffic. Including me, non-transponder equipped, requesting routing through their overhead. Having identified through position reporting and occasionally asking me to change levels, I've always had a great service from them and very much appreciate it.

Non transponder? I am sure they are very pleased to hear from you, to permission (?) you through the Class G airspace above their ATZ.
By jasoncuk
It is interesting though that this must be the only country in the world where we give thanks to ATC for providing a fairly basic service which is the norm everywhere else.

Individual controllers do a great job but our gratitude for a pseudo-RADAR service is really a little sad when you think about it.