Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Validity date for the ssea rating is end of June 17
LAPL medical till August 17.
Someone has already said I can speak English.
Next: I haven't flown since 23 May 15, Aortic valve replacement/Permit maintenance etc.
Flew the Permit test flight 20 March 16 and 40 mins yesterday 3 full stop & go, all solo.
So I think I am legally current. Currently competent a different matter.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
You could fly your aeroplane, the C152 or the PA28 if you wanted (subject to any club checkout rules and so on).

If you want to do the instructor flight in your own aeroplane by the way, the LAA coaching scheme might be able to come up with an instructor who's qualified on your aeroplane who might be able to come and visit, but looking at the table I see there are only two in Scotland, and I guess either of these would be someone who has to "drive miles" as you mention.
Coaching scheme instructors are few and far between up here yes,but now being legal I could fly to them. Nice to confirm that I can fly EASA stuff for a while at least. Disabled wife can't get into mine!
As an aside, talking of confusion, I once, a few years ago, asked an instructor at a local school if he could do the instructor thing in my aircraft. Answer via the then CFI was,. Yes, provided we don't do anything tail wheel related, landings, take off etc? So we did and he duly signed me off! I very nearly screwed up, had to do it again with a day to spare before it expired, thanks to this forum.
Copied from the news section on this site......
Private pilots with a UK national licence will be able to ‘self-declare’ themeselves fit to fly from later this summer, the CAA confirmed today.

The changes do not apply to pilots with an EASA PPL, or a commercial licence, or those displaying at airshows. These pilots will still need to be approved as fit to fly by an approved medical examiner.

The CAA says the move will lead to both cost and time savings for pilots and, in most cases, remove the need for General Practitioner (GP) or Authorised Medical Examiner involvement in the process.

The date of the change has yet to be confirmed. The medical requirement for UK private pilot licence and national private pilot licence holders will be to meet the same standard as that required to hold a DVLA Group 1 Ordinary Driving Licence (ODL). Existing medical options (for example a UK declaration with GP counter signature) will remain available. The same options will also be available for private balloon pilots.

To take advantage of the change, pilots will need to complete a form on the CAA website to declare that they meet the DVLA medical standard. Pilots under 70 will need to do this once while pilots over 70 must confirm their declaration every three years.

The changes will be contained in the proposed Air Navigation Order 2016 (ANO) due to come into effect late summer 2016. The proposed ANO legislation will contain these changes and other significant amendments for GA.

Currently, UK PPL holders are able to fly EASA aircraft using the privileges of a LAPL. This is anticipated to change in 2018, at which point the benefits of this change in medical requirements will decrease for those pilots. However, the CAA is hoping to influence EASA in considering reviewing the medical requirements for EASA Private Pilot licence holders flying EASA aircraft.
CAA wrote:....Existing medical options (for example a UK declaration with GP counter signature) will remain available......

This statement seems to come up in all the CAA press releases on the subject. But I can see nothing in either the Consultation Document Response, or indeed the first draft of the Air Navigation Order 2016 (which I found online after some Googling) which implies that is true. Both documents imply that the GP-countersigned Medical Declaration will vanish......
Indeed, p10 of the consultation response document:
In making these changes, we will remove the NPPL medical system. Anyone who does not meet the new medical requirements will be required to hold a LAPL medical certificate.
Yep. Bad news (for some of us) is that the GP Medical Declaration route has indeed been removed.

However, looking at "Transitional Arrangements" carefully, it seems that any existing Medical Declarations remain valid on their original terms until they expire, which at least gives some of us some breathing space to work out what we can do, if anything......

The list of conditions / problems which excludes one from using the new self-declaration system is very vague and general. Presumably there will be some clarification published at some point.....
Kittyhawk wrote:Indeed. ANO article 163 paragraph 6 lists the conditions which disqualify a medical declaration including '(g) any condition the CAA may specify'. Where do I find out what those may be?

Any condition which increases the income of your AME?