Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Flintstone
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Per the title really, I'm bringing a Jodel up from Jerez later in May and am looking at the route in terms of fuel stops, hotels and the like.

I think we've got Spain covered courtesy of some friends down that way but there are lots of options for the French section. It's a bit early in the year to go up and over the Pyrenees so we'll be over to the west.

I'm thinking of taking it easy and spreading the trip over three days. One for Spain (overnight Santander or nearby), a day to wander through France (might overnight near Calais) followed by a lazy amble on day three across the Channel.

If we can avoid Shoreham landing fees, Tracy Whats-Herface, kneeboards and accusations of low flying until I've got what I need I'd be grateful. :D
By BlackheathBloke
Just avoid the Farnborough area, bloody self-important bizjets everywhere!! :twisted:
skydriller liked this
By Dave W
Paultheparaglider wrote:Are you doing it solo? I'm a bit confused as you have used both I and we in your narrative.

He's got you there.

The two of you could do worse than stop off to see James33 in Saucats (LFCS). On the way up to Calais, Troyes (LFQB) is a good place for lunch (but it's France - many others are available) and has Customs (with PNR) if you feel the need to head back without stopping near Calais.

I may have told you this already, but useful for pre-flight understanding of which Restricted areas are in use on the day is the "AZBA" site.
By Flintstone
Dave W wrote:
Paultheparaglider wrote:Are you doing it solo? I'm a bit confused as you have used both I and we in your narrative.

He's got you there.

It was the Royal 'we'. Peasant. :D

Dave W wrote:The two of you could do worse than stop off to see James33 in Saucats (LFCS). On the way up to Calais, Troyes (LFQB) is a good place for lunch (but it's France - many others are available) and has Customs (with PNR) if you feel the need to head back without stopping near Calais.

I may have told you this already, but useful for pre-flight understanding of which Restricted areas are in use on the day is the "AZBA" site.

Charles Hunt wrote:Santander to Cholet for lunch. Then more or less due North. Cherbourg to top up tanks, then Isle of Wight and dear old blighty.

This is the stuff, keep it coming.
By Dave W
Ewww, royal wee. :shock:

Thinking further: Do you want to get across France ASAP, or do you want to dogleg to see sights and stuff?

Whichever, if travelling through France VFR low level is new to you (is it? Obviously the France bit, I mean) and you've the time, I'd suggest having 2 hour-ish hops so you can see more places close up. French airfields are typically delightful, but small ones often seem deserted in the week.

Weather may screw up any intent to go to specific places, but as well as previous recomms:

- If you come up the Atlantic Coast, La Rochelle is always pleasant.
- If you do consider the long crossing, consider clearing Customs outbound at St Malo rather than Cherbourg. Luc and Edith at the latter are excellent hosts in the restaurant, but climbing to height over land for the crossing is more comfortable and St Malo is well placed for that.
- Chartres (LFOR) is a pleasant place to fly into, since it is close to the city and dependig on runway you may find yourself on Base pointing directly at the impressive cathedral.
- Fairly close to Chartres is Etampes (LFOX) - I've not been for years, but it used to be a very friendly place.
- Poitiers or Tours .
- Limoges I think has a decent restaurant, but I might be confusing it with somewhere else. :oops:

Part way through writing the above, I thought: "Hang on - he should be being pointed to the French bits of ATIS Forum."
By Flintstone
Two hour stops might be more 'comfortable'. As I can't pinch the ANR headsets from work I would imagine my ears will welcome the break.

Coastal sounds easier. As an old instructor once said to me "If you keep the wet bit on the left you'll eventually find your way back to where you started". Or maybe that was an old girlfriend?

St Malo sounds like a good option as do all the others. I'll have to get mick w's French charts out for a gander.
Last edited by Flintstone on Mon May 09, 2016 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MercianMarcus, mick w liked this
By Dave W
Regarding hotels, a handy hint I learned from Rob P:

The Accor hotel chain (Sofitel, Novotel, Ibis, F1, Mercure...) have a handy cancellation policy - cancel up to 1800 on the day without incurring fees.

Having said that, I usually turn up wherever, find ourselves a Joe Le Taxi and say "Un hôtel pas cher, s'il-vous plait. Et l'addition pour mon ami".
Charles Hunt liked this