Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The screw-in cut down Coke bottle funnel method does work well in those circs, though - fits nicely through the filler flap and if you cut it long enough it will keep the flap ajar so that there is a visual indication that the dipstick is out.

And it comes with a free drink. ;)
By Grumpy One
I like the cut of their jibs, so I've just asked some American friends to bring three of those previously mentioned yellow gadgetty thingwotnots with a valve, over from the USA when they come to join us AYA (International Grumman Owners & Pilots) & us Grumpy folk in Berlin. The postage is more than double the actual cost of the things!
Grumpy One wrote:I like the cut of their jibs, so I've just asked some American friends to bring three of those previously mentioned yellow gadgetty thingwotnots with a valve, over from the USA when they come to join us AYA (International Grumman Owners & Pilots) & us Grumpy folk in Berlin. The postage is more than double the actual cost of the things!

Yep, less than $3 for the item, but a $19 bill for me! Crazy but worth it as it'll save me buying more of the disposable ones.

Crash one wrote:
JWL wrote:A basic question I know, but I use those cardboard funnels you get from Trainsair, however I've just got back from the States where the plane had a small yellow plastic spout in it. You screwed one end onto the oil bottle, shut the tap, tipped it up into the oil filler neck and then opened the tap.

It worked really well, and I want one but can't find them anywhere.

Any ideas? Or any better solutions out there?

No one has yet mentioned the closeable tap, which I think is the important bit. Tip it up, position it correctly, open tap when ready.
I have a funnel with a long spout, if careful I can get oil down the filler tube on the Continental. If not so careful I get oil all over the battery dribbling down the inside of the cowling, all over the exhaust etc.
I want one of those yellow things as well.

Yes, Lockhaven did:-

JWL wrote:
Lockhaven wrote:Just roll a piece of paper into a cone shape.

Or order one from here.
http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/aircra ... ntrol.html

That's the badger - thanks.

I did look on Sporty's but only found one with a tube. Looks like I need online search lessons

Pics here:-

Grumpy One wrote:I like the cut of their jibs, so I've just asked some American friends to bring three of those previously mentioned yellow gadgetty thingwotnots with a valve, over from the USA when they come to join us AYA (International Grumman Owners & Pilots) & us Grumpy folk in Berlin. The postage is more than double the actual cost of the things!

Hi G1, I'm off to Florida next week, if I can find somewhere that sells them I'll bring some back.

I know you know the area well, so I'm going to Naples, Clearwater, kissimmee, and Orlando. I have no idea where a sportys shop may be but I guess kissimmee is favourite ?

Any suggestions welcome :D
davey
I know you know the area well, so I'm going to Naples, Clearwater, kissimmee, and Orlando. I have no idea where a sportys shop may be but I guess kissimmee is favourite ?

Just call them by phone once in the USA and give your hotel address for delivery it will be there within 24 hours and as the delivery is out of state it will be state tax free, they are based at Batavia airport Ohio.

Phone 1.800.776.7897
Sporty's Pilot Shop
Clermont County/Sporty’s Airport
2001 Sporty’s Dr.
Batavia, Ohio 45103
By TubeDriver
creweite wrote:The US quart bottles of Shell oil have a screw thread which is the same as that on the Lycoming dipstick, so just remove the dipstick, take the top off the oil and screw the container into the oil filler neck and leave to drain. I assume that this will not work with UK oil containers!

Rather than having to tip up a full US quart bottle and screw it into the filler neck, with possible spillage,.....
Cut an empty bottle into a funnel shape with a sharp knife then screw that into the filler neck. Then tip the full bottle into your craftily created funnel and hey presto.....
By Grumpy One
davey wrote:
Hi G1, I'm off to Florida next week, if I can find somewhere that sells them I'll bring some back.

Nay problemo mons pal . One of my Murkan mates has already ordered three for me from Sporty's - He's bringing them over for me in three weeks time. But thanks for your offer.

I visited THE Sporty's shop in Batavia, Ohio a few years ago. I'm not sure if they do actually have satellite shops around the country.
There's lots on offer as you'd expect + free hotdogs n'stuff. They'll send ordered goodies to whatever hotel you're staying in. Warning the hotel receptionists that you're expecting a package is a good idea. Always worked for me anyway!
By PeteSpencer
creweite wrote:The US quart bottles of Shell oil have a screw thread which is the same as that on the Lycoming dipstick, so just remove the dipstick, take the top off the oil and screw the container into the oil filler neck and leave to drain. I assume that this will not work with UK oil containers!

Like I said the Aeroshell thread here has recently changed and an upended full oil bottle over a recessed oil filler is not the best time to discover the threads don't match.....
I found the complete answer on a stand at last year's Popham aerojumble. It looks like a small plastic watering can with a screw on filler cap, a long and flexible spout which also has a screw cap, takes a litre of oil comfortably and doesn't leak. I keep it in the back of my SF260, fill it with 15W-50 when required and the flexible spout is long enough to position through the cowling access door into the dipstick tube. No spills, and the screw caps keep out any debris when not in use.
I think I paid a couple of quid, should have had three for a fiver as it's ideal for filling everything from a lawnmower to a classic car engine without spilling a drop. I am sure that if Transair sold them they would cost a fortune, just because they can be used on aeroplanes!
By Paul_Sengupta
I got some strange plastic thing with some sort of tap on it from an aerojumble in the US a couple of years ago for 50 cents. I haven't opened it yet to see if it fits on the spout of a can of 15W-50. It's in my flight bag though! :D I just prefer to use the funnel.

I put in a fair amount of oil as it drips out all over the floor from my engine. An engine overhaul didn't cure it and if anything it's worse than it was before overhaul. No idea if it's leaking from the same place.
Lockhaven wrote:
davey

Just call them by phone once in the USA and give your hotel address for delivery it will be there within 24 hours and as the delivery is out of state it will be state tax free, they are based at Batavia airport Ohio.

Phone 1.800.776.7897
Sporty's Pilot Shop
Clermont County/Sporty’s Airport
2001 Sporty’s Dr.
Batavia, Ohio 45103

Thanks for that, sounds like a plan :D
By richtyler
If I don't have a suitable funnel to hand I pour it down the dipstick, an old RAF trick that works a treat, try it you'll be amazed how easy it is. I have one of the spouts shown above also but doesn't always fit bottles over here, but works a treat in the States.