Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Dave Phillips
I think it is your imagination. I could do a quick trawl of our records and give you a very un-scientific answer but my gut feeling is that we tend to see about one a week during the summer months.

PM me if you feel you need any particular details on this one.
By Spiney Norman
Extremely sad occurence. Particularly when we lose one of our local regulars. I had only spoken to the pilot by telephone shortly before the incident. If any family or colleagues should read this....My thoughts are with them.
By BlueRobin
There always seems to be a spate around April when every gets flying again.
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
BlueRobin wrote:There always seems to be a spate around April when every gets flying again.

That was my perception. I just don't seem to remember such a consistent run of accident reports (jncluding microlights), although as DP points out, it's probably just my imagination.

Iceman
By jane
Or is it that the media had nothing better to report at the time, and as pilots we notice them. What about then doing a comparison with other incidents such as road accidents, murders etc. Do we come out any different then.
Last edited by jane on Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Vince C
This is a bit close to home. Anyone know the reg, or where based?
By Stephen Morley
I doubt it. Wills has split up with kate.
By jane
Vince, note above, DP says to pm him.
By Vince C
From the Staffordshire Sentinal:

BREAKING NEWS: POLICE NAME PILOT KILLED IN PLANE CRASH

Police this afternoon named a pilot who died after his light aircraft crashed into a field in South Cheshire.

He is John Bell, aged 51, from Wilmslow.

Mr Bell crashed the aircraft in a field near Worleston, near Nantwich, yesterday afternoon. He is believed to have been the only occupant of the plane.

The crash happened in a cornfield, near Worleston Lane, at about 4.45pm.

The Air Accident branch of the Department of Transport has launched a full investigation into the crash and the scene was sealed off yesterday afternoon.

Peter Eichorn, aged 63, who lives in Station Road, Worleston, was at the scene when the accident happened. Mr Eichorn said the pilot had taken off from a small airstrip nearby but suffered engine failure.

He said: "The plane was a home-built kit. It took off from a strip nearby and suffered engine failure. The aircraft was about 100 feet up and just seemed to drop straight down after take-off. It totally disintegrated when it hit the ground.

"I was nearby with a few other people and we were in shock. We ran over to see if we could do anything but it was impossible. The pilot was trapped in the wreckage. I managed to get to him but there was nothing I could do so we waited for the emergency services.

"It's the first time the pilot has been to this airstrip because he usually uses one at Lymm. I spoke to him and he was very excited to fly here for the first time."

The small airstrip is on Dairyfields Farm, which belongs to farmer Fred Percival.

He said: "I've been here for 30 years and there's never been an accident before."

Police say Mr Bell was travelling alone in the two-seater light aircraft.

A Cheshire Police spokesman said: "Emergency services attended the scene to find a two-seater light aircraft had crashed into a cornfield. The male pilot, the sole occupant, received fatal injuries."

Councillor Brian Silvester, leader of Crewe and Nantwich Borough Council, said: "This is terrible news. I shouldn't imagine a lot of pilots fly aircrafts in this area but to learn a Cheshire man has died as a result of the crash is very upsetting."

Nantwich councillor John Dwyer added: "I'm very sorry to hear about this tragic accident and my thoughts are with the family of the pilot who died.

"The only saving grace is that no-one else was injured and the pilot managed to avoid any houses."

Witnesses to the accident are being asked to call Cheshire Police on 0845 458 0000.
By Intowind
Cant even begin to say how i felt after i took the call from the Police ASU informing us. Very Very sad indeed.. RIP. :(